Free Speech For People works to renew our democracy and our United States Constitution for we the people. Founded on the day of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling, Free Speech For People envisions a democratic process in which all people have an equal voice and an equal vote. We advance this mission with the following innovative, effective, and complementary strategies:
- We help lead the movement to amend the U.S. Constitution to overturn the Supreme Court’s rulings in Citizens United v. FEC and Buckley v. Valeo, and the doctrines underlying those rulings;
- We engage in legal advocacy in the courts to advance a new jurisprudence on money in politics and to confront the misuse of the U.S. Constitution to claim corporate exemptions from our laws;
- We develop and advocate for model laws and other tools to challenge big money in politics and to make corporations responsible to the public;
- We challenge corruption at the highest levels of our government and lead bold campaigns for accountability under the law;
- We fight for free and fair elections, for reliable and secure voting systems, and for the bedrock principle that, in a democracy, all voters must have their votes properly counted.
Free Speech For People has emerged over the past eight years as a recognized leader of the movement to challenge big money in politics and unchecked corporate power, and to reclaim our democracy. We have built an effective and widely-supported campaign for a 28th Amendment to the US Constitution to overturn Citizens United, challenge in the courts the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in McCutcheon v. FEC, and Buckley v. Valeo, restore democracy to the people, and advance the fundamental principle of political equality for all.
We have also worked, via our Legal Advocacy Program, to push back in the courts against the doctrine of unlimited campaign spending and the fabrication of corporate constitutional rights; to press for accountability through corporate charter reform and other such measures at the state level; to develop model legislation for the defense of our democracy; and to serve as a key legal resource for the constitutional amendment movement.
Following the November 2016 election, and consistent with our longstanding track record and mandate, Free Speech For People launched a new and groundbreaking program to confront the unparalleled corruption of the presidency and to hold those at the highest levels of government accountable to the law.
Through all of this work, Free Speech For People is a leading force in the country for defending our Constitution and reclaiming the basic promise of democracy and American self-government: of, by, and for the people.
For a copy of our 2019 annual report, click here.
For a copy of our 2018 annual report, click here.
For a copy of our 2017 annual report, click here.
For a copy of our 2016 annual report, click here.
For a copy of our 2015 annual report, click here.
To review our state nonprofit disclosure statement, click here.