Free Speech For People is seeking a public interest attorney, preferably with social justice, campaign finance, and/or election law experience, to come join cutting-edge non-profit.
Free Speech For People, a national nonpartisan nonprofit organization, was founded on the day of the Supreme Court’s Citizens United v. FEC decision. We’ve been working since then to get big money out of politics, to push back against corporations claiming constitutional rights to disregard federal, state, and local laws, and to challenge corruption at the highest levels of our government. Our current projects include:
- The lawsuit that could end super PACs
- Cutting-edge legislation to fight super PACs and political spending by corporations with significant foreign investment
- The campaign to impeach President Trump for corruption and abuse of power
- The campaign to amend the Constitution to overturn Citizens United
We also write amicus briefs helping defend campaign finance and other laws against constitutional challenges from wealthy or corporate interests, draft and defend legislation limiting the influence of money and corporate power, and help develop and promote new scholarship to advance the jurisprudence on money in politics and corporate abuse of constitutional rights. And we wrote the book on the case for impeaching President Trump.
We are seeking a public interest attorney to fight for democracy. Specific projects will emerge and evolve and job duties will vary over time, but the day-to-day will likely include litigation (writing or assisting with briefs and/or working with outside counsel), legislation (drafting; grassroots and direct lobbying; testifying; organizing supportive testimony), public speaking, and organizing panels, symposia, and similar events.
The attorney will report to Free Speech For People’s Legal Director (Ron Fein), based in Newton, MA. The position will require occasional travel to locations around the country.
- J.D. and membership in good standing in a state bar
- 2+ years experience, preferably with campaign finance, civil rights, and/or election law, and preferably including both legislation and litigation
- Dedication to public interest work and strong intrinsic motivation
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial, startup nonprofit environment
- Preferred, but not required: Coursework and/or experience in First Amendment or elections law
Location: Free Speech For People’s Legal Advocacy office is in Newton, MA, just outside Boston. However, candidates living in other locations may be considered if they have a demonstrated ability to work independently and remotely.
Application instructions: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and (if <5 years experience) law school transcript to Oske Buckley at [email protected]
Free Speech For People is an affirmative action employer and recruits, employs, retains, and promotes persons in a manner that does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, or physical or mental ability which is unrelated to job performance.