Free Speech For People has made huge progress on the road to a democracy that truly represents the people. We’re at a turning point in our nation’s history and we’re doubling down to seize this historic moment.
Momentum is building and our actions are spurring big political change. Just look at what we’ve accomplished together in a short time:
- Over 100 Members of Congress are now in favor of impeaching proceedings against President Trump, following a House vote on articles of impeachment and Robert Mueller’s testimony. This signifies the highest volume of support for impeachment received to date! Click here to read an op-ed by Congressman Al Green and FSFP’s Legal Director Ron Fein on why the president’s racist abuses are grounds for impeachment. And, click here for our joint letter to the House Judiciary Committee urging that it conduct a full impeachment inquiry with urgency.
- On May 21, 2019, the New York Legislature passed a double jeopardy bill challenging the abuse of the presidential pardon power. We worked closely with the New York Attorney General’s Office to help achieve this victory. We provided legal analysis to state legislators regarding the bill and led a coalition of national and local organizations in issuing a letter to the New York Assembly and the New York Senate in support of the bill.
- On July 11, 2019, the Washington Supreme Court rejected a challenge to Seattle’s public campaign financing program. The Court upheld the program against a legal challenge from landowners claiming the program violated their constitutional rights. We submitted with Demos a series of amicus briefs in defense of the constitutionality of the program.
These victories are a testament to what people power can achieve.
But in the meantime:
- We will continue to urge New York Attorney General Letitia James to revoke the charter of the Trump Organization, on the grounds that it has persistently violated the law and flagrantly abuses its state-granted powers as a corporation.
- We are expanding our legal advocacy work to include election security projects, as preserving our democracy includes protecting our bedrock right to vote. We have already taken action in Indiana and Pennsylvania.
- We are getting closer to our goal of ending Super PACs, as our lawsuit Lieu v. FEC has advanced to the federal appeals court.
Donate now so we can continue to fight for a democracy that works for all.